Walter (Greer, SC) announced its new M2472 and M2473 milling cutters with ceramic button indexable inserts. The M2472 cutter body accepts positive ceramic inserts and the M2472 cutter body accepts double-sided ceramic inserts with eight or more cutting edges per indexable insert. The cutting diameters (Dc) range from 32 to 63 mm.
- Grades of ceramic inserts are based on elements silicon, aluminum, oxygen and nitrogen (SiAlON)
- Inserts can be used without cooling lubricant
- Ideal for roughing heat-resistant super alloys
- Clamping wedges for securing inserts that feature internal cooling grooves and TiN coated surface
- Protection against material weld formations due to coating on clamping wedges
- Protection against excessive heat produced when milling because of targeted compressed air supply using advanced wedge-type clam
To protect the cutting edge when the tool enters the cut, Walter recommends using the “roll-in” strategy in which the width of cut (WOC) is gradually increased after the insert initially engages the workpiece to reduce shock and vibration. This strategy imparts finer surface finishes and increased tool life.