4D Technology (Tucson, AZ) offers their 4D InSpec Surface Gauge, a handheld, non-contact instrument that measures precision machined surface defects with micrometer-level resolution. Features include:
- Unaffected by vibration, so it can be used on the factory floor for direct inspection of large and small components.
- A single cable tether connects it to a computer.
- Defect measurement capabilities of between 0.1 and 100 mils (2.5 to 2,500 micrometers) deep.
- Its design allows for easier access to tight corners and a “fold mirror” attachment enables borescope-like access to features without direct line of sight.
- An intuitive, touchscreen interface for setup, operation, analysis and report generation.
- Software automatically finds critical features and calculates height, volume, area, slopes and location.
- Operators can select 2D traces or 3D plots to view feature details.