Newly redesigned 100 frame motors from NORD (Waunakee, WI) are the first step in updating its asynchronous motor portfolio with an optimized electrical, mechanical and visual design. The new 3 HP and 4 HP premium efficient motors offer a simplified assembly including the elimination of a copper rotor as the motors produce the same energy efficiency without it. This change results in reduced costs and sell price to the consumer. Not changing in the design are the outer dimensions and the mounting options available – direct mount, NEMA and IEC, making the new motors drop-in compatible for existing systems. Specifically:
- The exterior of the motor has new curved cooling fins that have been adapted in depth and shape.
- These fins curve around the terminal box and the motor to enhance airflow and optimize cooling.
- Sharp edges and corners have been removed from the terminal box to smooth the design and provide easier maintenance.
- The need for NPT adapters has been eliminated as there are now directly integrated imperial and metric conduit connections for ease of use and reduction of parts.
- Additionally, curved feet on the new design give the motor greater strength, stability, and a streamlined appearance.
The fan cover has also received an updated radial design and the screws of the hood have been rotated by 45 degrees, making them accessible in case a variable frequency drive is installed.