EMUGE-FRANKEN USA (West Boylston, MA) has announced the introduction of PunchDrill, a totally new drill design offering high feed drilling, which doubles the feed rate compared to standard drills without increasing the axial force or spindle speed. Features include the following:
- PunchDrill reduces machining forces and optimizes chip-breaking, producing cycle time savings of 50% or more when machining cast aluminum alloys with at least 7% Si content and magnesium alloys.
- EMUGE PunchDrill results in shorter machining times, fewer tool changes, and high metal removal rates, in addition to higher productivity and reduced power consumption.
- PunchDrill features patent-pending geometry with an innovative chip breaker which produces short chips to control machining forces.
- The new drill also has newly developed surface treatments and a hard diamond-like coating specially designed for this application to provide reliable chip removal and increased process reliability.
- When high-speed PunchDrill is used at the recommended feed and speed, axial force is reduced by half. The increase of the feed at the same rotational speed results in a significant decrease of machining time with less machine wear, while retaining tool life. This in turn reduces machine power consumption, saving costs and supporting sustainability.