Curtiss-Wright’s Sensors & Controls Division (Chanhassen, MN) has announced the release of the fourth and final planned frame size of its next-generation Exlar brand FTX Series actuators. These high-force, electric, rod-style actuators now offer higher performance and more ease of maintenance than previously available. The FTX Series actuators are intended for use in high-force, high-duty cycle applications in harsh environments. Based on planetary roller screw technology, the FTX Series offers high robustness in a compact form factor, making them an ideal alternative to hydraulic cylinders. With continuous force ratings to 89 kN (20,000 lbf), speeds to 1000 mm/sec (39 in/sec) and stroke lengths from 150 mm (6 inches) to 900 mm (36 inches), the FTX160 can be applied across a wide range of linear motion applications.
The FTX160, a next-generation version of the current FT60 model, features the following key enhancements over the existing FT Series designs:
- High capacity planetary roller screws offering up to 15X the life and significantly higher shock load resistance than a comparably sized ball screw.
- IP65S (min.) environmental protection.
- Idler pulley design that greatly simplifies motor installation and belt tensioning / maintenance.
- Grease zerk fitting and removable front seal bushing that greatly simplify maintenance and re-greasing of nut assembly to maximize actuator life.
- A modular design with bolt-on mounting hardware that allows mounting style reconfiguration or replacement in the field using commonly available tools.