Pilz (Canton, MI) has introduced a new range of safe configurable small controllers, the PNOZmulti 2. The PNOZ m C0 unit is just 22.5 mm wide and monitors up to four safety functions on machines. Depending on the application, the new base unit enables high productivity on smaller machines and can be used to implement safety requirements up to the highest category PL (performance level) e or SIL CL 3. It is ideal in various industries and application areas, such as packaging, robotic cells and food and beverage. Specifically:
- The extremely narrow PNOZ m C0 has the structural properties of a safety relay but is as powerful as a configurable safety controller.
- It provides eight safe inputs and four safe semiconductor outputs at a width of just 22.5 mm. Up to four safety functions can be reliably monitored. These include E-STOP, safety gates, safety light curtains and two-hand control.
- All safety circuits are created via the intuitive software tool PNOZmulti Configurator, the basic version of which is free of license costs and available on the Pilz website.
- The tool provides several approved software blocks for monitoring safety functions up to PL e/SIL CL 3.
- All created safety architectures can be used independently of a PLC controller, so the safety circuit can be downloaded to the device directly via a USB cable and either saved directly or, alternatively, on the chip card.
- Digitally supported engineering minimizes configuration time and therefore costs for this step in the life cycle. What’s more, functions can be expanded or modified at any time. This is beneficial where machines are produced in series, as they can easily be adapted to current requirements.