The LED405Med from Master Bond (Hackensack, NJ) is a one component, LED curing adhesive system that meets ISO 10993-5 cytotoxicity requirements for use in medical device assembly. According to the company, since this system does not need a UV light for curing it is intrinsically more user friendly. Other benefits include:
- A nanosilica filler resulting in both lower shrinkage upon cure, as well as greater dimensional stability with a coefficient of thermal expansion of 35-40 in/in x 10-6/°C.
- The ability to cure to a hardness of 65-75 Shore D, indicating that it is not too stiff, thereby offering good toughness.
- Optically clear, with a refractive index of 1.50, and offers excellent light transmission properties.
- A high volume resistivity of more than 1014 ohm-cm and a low dielectric constant of 4.2 at 60 Hz.
- Good flowability with a viscosity of 2,000-8,000 cps and can be used for bonding, sealing and coating. LED405Med cures up to 0.125 inch thick and is suitable for small encapsulations involving optical assemblies or other sensitive components.